Wednesday 4 December 2013

Queen Bean Espresso Review


It has been a hectic three weeks of training (who knew travel consultants had such intensive training programs!) at Flight Centre's head office in Brisbane. 

I must admit that I am a bloody lazy person by nature and prepping lunch is not my forte (I also do not like having sandwiches every single day for lunch; I enjoy variety). Thank heavens, that there is a well-situated cafe on the ground floor of the building! 

I like how the chairs have the honeycomb design and the honey coloured walls portray the actual name of the cafe! Somewhat themed.

Everyday, they have different lunch specials advertised on their tiny chalkboard out front. I remember the first time I went there for lunch about a couple a weeks ago for their $8.50AUD Bacon & Eggs Special, which came with a free small cup of coffee (of your choice). Normally, as a special, I was half expecting a small portion of bacon and eggs, but I was wrong! It was quite a generous portion of bacon and two eggs (cooked to your liking, although scrambled was probably extra), and four slices of toast. 

So, in following days, where I couldn't be fucked walking anywhere else for lunch, I either ordered the special or items from their display fridge.

As a heads-up, I did not take any photos of the Bacon & Egg dish :( Many apologies!

Chicken Parmigiana with fries and salad (Lunch special: $12.00 AUD)

Smoked Salmon & Dill Potato Cake 

Choice of 2 salads: Pesto Pasta & Sesame Soba with Chicken

Creamy Carbonara (Lunch special: $10.50 AUD)

This cafe does have a relatively nice ambience, often packed during rush hours (morning coffees and lunch time). However, standard of food, it is relatively normal - not bad, but not great either. The only dish which I actually enjoyed immensely was the Smoked Salmon & Dill Potato cake, WITH the requested Hollandaise sauce. 

Queen Bean definitely does appeal to those working in the same building as it is really convenient. With the relaxed, casual atmosphere and friendly staff, it is not a surprise that it is packed during the peak hours. 

Though I do like Queen Bean, it is definitely not a place for great food. Price-wise, it is quite expensive for some of the food they are serving. Mind you, the salad mix and lunch specials are often alright, due to the quantity of food they serve.

Anyways, verdict time!


  • Presentation: 2.5/5 (So-so, nothing out of the ordinary.)
  • Taste: 3/5 (Mediocre not spectacular)
  • Service: 4/5 (Relatively quick service and some nice/friendly staff)
  • Monetary Value: 3.5/5 (To be honest, there were some that were alright like the Bacon & Egg special that came with a coffee for $8.50AUD and the salad combo, which I find worthwhile price vs size. Other dishes, personally I find to be quite pricey for the standard of food)

It is a cute little spot to check out though, if you're around that area!

Queen Bean
545 Queen Street | Brisbane, QLD 4000 
(P): 07 3831 3119
Queen Bean Espresso on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment