Tuesday 29 October 2013

Spicy Tuna Mayo (Mesha's Version)


To be honest, I don't really fancy tinned tuna too much (I like 'em raw - think sashimi) but they are so darn cheap ($0.90AUD) per tin and it comes in a variety of flavours. That is why there are always a few tins of tuna laying around in our pantry. 

The reason I made this spicy tuna mayo, was specifically for onigiri stuffing, but could be used in sandwiches as well. I could eat this spicy tuna mayo with plain white rice all day (I'm trying not to brag, but damnnn, I didn't expect my experiment working well! Well enough to document on this blog anyways.

This recipe is simple and very well worth making to keep in the fridge.

Ingredients:
2 small tins of tuna (both I had were Lemon & Pepper flavoured)
1 big clove of garlic 
1/4 brown onion 
2 tbsp ABC Extra Hot Chilli sauce
2 heaped tsp mayo (preferably Kewpie)
Cooking oil or butter

Method:
1. Finely dice garlic and onion.

2. Heat up some oil or butter on a frying pan (I used butter). 

3. Add the diced onion and garlic. Sweat it for 5 minutes on low to medium heat.

4. Add tins of tuna.


5. Turn the the heat up to medium - high and keep stirring the tuna in order to evaporate excess liquid. Evaporate it to get as much liquid out as possible. 

6. Add the chilli sauce and mix thoroughly.

I absolutely adore and am a complete addict to ABC's chilli sauce. Personally, this beats Sriracha. I used this on almost everything I eat. 



7. Remove from heat and place tuna mixture into a small bowl.

8. Add mayo and mix thoroughly with the tuna

Okay, so not the best looking paste ever, but it's yummy!

Verdict: 
Have to admit that the photo makes it look somewhat disgusting but it's the flavour that counts! Did not need to add salt/pepper as the chilli sauce had enough flavour in it (not to mention that the tuna already had lemon and cracked black pepper). Guess salt/pepper could be added if plain tuna was used.

Recommended for onigiri and sandwiches! 

7 comments:

  1. thank you for the recipe! I just tried making this for my lunch tomorrow, haven't tasted it yet but I hope it'll turn out good! I love ABC chili sauce too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me know how it tastes! I hope you like it! :)

      Delete
  2. I tried this and it was great! My family loved it :)
    Instead of Japanese Mayo, I used Japanese dressing that we already had in the fridge - it kinda tasted like mayo anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! Sorry for the delayed response! I'm glad you liked it :D Ah.. anything Japanese is so good *tears of joy* Ooh, I heard Kewpie has a wasabi flavoured mayo :D

      Delete
  3. This is my go-to onigiri recipe now. I use sriracha usually (we have it on hand at all times), but have heard that ABC is magical. I get such good commentary on onigiri or onigirazu made with this stuff, and the leftover filling just gets put on top of rice and consumed almost instantly...it's like tuna crack. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katherine! So sorry for the late response! Yes, ABC chilli sauce is magical and unfortunately I cannot find it since I've moved to Canada. If you find it, BUY IN BULK. Sriracha is good, but not as good as that magical sauce. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
    2. And lol.. tuna crack XD that's a first

      Delete