Sunday 27 October 2013

Fortitude Valley Diwali Disappointment

Personally speaking, Brisbane weekends are so boring. I blame this on numerous factors - lack of friends, money and activities (other than shopping and eating out). That was why I was quite happy that  I found an activity for the boyfriend and I. 

When I found out that there was a Diwali festival held in Fortitude Valley's Chinatown, I was stoked! As a Malaysian, Diwali (aka Festival of Lights) is normally a public holiday and I remember times when my family would pay visit to homes of Indian friends. Their homes would be brightly decorated with candles and I would adore the Rangoli masterpieces (not all displayed Rangoli, but candles displays galore!). Not to mention, having a wonderful Indian feast!

So, when I found out about the Diwali festival and read the activity list, I expected loud Bollywood music blasting away and traditional Indian dances, a huge variety of market stalls selling Indian food, clothes and other items. 

Boy, was I ever so wrong. 

There was a stage in the middle of Chinatown. Okay.... and stalls? There was like 5 at the most!!

One was the promised free henna tattoo stall, which was cool but I couldn't be bothered waiting in line for something I had done before, and the remaining stalls weren't even related to anything Indian (mostly Chinese selling Chinese items wtf).

Get this, THERE WAS NO STALLS SELLING INDIAN FOOD!
Are you fucking kidding me?

Packed with people, mostly diners in surrounding restaurants (as it is the heart of Chinatown after all), but seriously? Not even an Indian food stall? Are they that scared that other restaurants aren't going to have potential customers?! Pfft...

Some Indian music played. It was alright but I find it so funny that there has to be one hippy Caucasian male on stage.

Over all, it was a very huge disappointment. Seriously could have done better, Brisbane. Can't believe we came all the down to see less than 5 minutes worth of nothing.

On the bright side, I managed to convince the boyfriend to check out Nonbei!

No comments:

Post a Comment